Trinity Square with its strong Renaissance roots was built as an observatory in 1574. City tower has a square floor plan and eight floors. The observation deck is situated at a height of 29m and the total height of the tower is 57m. The upper deck and corners are decorated with illusionary rectangles and a gilded statue of the Virgin Mary Immaculate, at the top of the baroque dome. The clockwork in the tower dates back to 1729 and operates five dials, the bells, built in 1692 strike on every quarter-hour and hour. The only preserved sundial in the city is situated on the southern facade of the tower.
SCULPTURE OF THE HOLY TRINITY
This impressive baroque ensemble was created by Ján Krištof Khien in 1695. The statues of St. Florián, St. Agáta, St. František Xaverský and St. Anton Paduánsky are placed on the corners of the four-sided foundation. In the stone tomb, lies the statue of St. Rosalia and at the top of the 4m high column you can see the sculpture of the Holy Trinity crowning the Virgin Mary. In the middle of the foundation walls there are the emblems of Trnava, the Kingdom of Hungary, the bishop Štefan Dolný and the relief of the Virgin Mary Immaculate.
BASILICA OF ST. NICOLAUS
The Basilica is one of the most characteristic features of Trnava and was built between 1380-1421. The Gothic three-lane basilica with two-tower façade and baroque chapels has eight high windows in the sanctuary with stone traces and colored stained glass. The oldest altar is the early Baroque Altar of All Saints (1659). In the baroque chapel of the Virgin Mary of Trnava is a gracious image that makes Trnava famous as a pilgrimage destination. In the side chapels there are rare Renaissance and Baroque epitaphs of the Archbishops of Strihim. The Roman ossuary - the oldest sacred building in Trnava, was discovered on the south-eastern side of the presbytery of Basilica of St. Nicolaus.
CATHEDRAL OF ST. JÁN KRSTITEĽ
The first early-Baroque building in Slovakia is one of the most beautiful ones in Europe. It was built by Italian architects Pietro and Antonio Spazzovci. It was part of the university buildings. The gem of the interior design, is the autentic all-wood main altar built in 1640, which is 20,3 meters high and 14,8 meters wide. The altar is richly gilded and polychromed. It’s made up of three altar paintings, 27 life-sized statues of the saints of the Old and New Testaments, and several smaller ones. The main altarpiece is the Baptism of Jesus Christ, followed by other scenes from the life of St. John the Baptist depicted on cloths in the church vault. Below the church there is a crypt in which the members of the Society of Jesus and the family of palatine Mikuláš Esterházi are buried. Since 1977, it has been the Cathedral of the Archdiocese of Trnava. Pope John Paul II. visited the cathedral in 2003.
Where Smolenice castle is standing today, at the foot of the Small Carpathian mountains, there was once a medieval castle. It was built in the 14th century, as one of the last guard castles at the Carpathian pass. At the end of the 18th century, the castle was desolated and at the beginning of the 19th century it was burned down, leaving only ruins. At the beginning of the 20th century, its last owners Pálfiovci started to build the present Smolenice Castle on the previous castle ruins, and was completed after 1945. Nowadays the castle is under administration of the Slovak Academy of Sciences, which offers sightseeing tours of the castle to the public during the summer months.
Driny cave is a small cave in the Small Carpathian mountains. It is located about 2 km southwest of Smolenice in Smolenice Karst. The entrance to the cave is 399 above sea level, situated in the western slope of the Driny hill (434 m), which is composed of relatively pure Jurassic limestone. The cave is known for its well-preserved stalactite formations. It was re-opened to the public in 1959.
ČERVENÝ KAMEŇ CASTLE
The Red Stone Castle was first mentioned in 1240. In the 16th century, the new part of castle was built, but burned down several times. It was damaged during the Second World War and repairs began in 1947. Today it is a National Cultural Monument.
ACTIVITIES IN THE AREA
AQUAPARK Trnava is situated only 350 meters from Holiday Inn Trnava. It offers 4 swimming pools, 8 saunas, 2 whirlpools and 2 water slides. Both children and adults can enjoy the entertainment and relaxation throughout the year...summer or winter. There are a relaxation pools, a children's pool and an outdoor pool, as well as indoor and outdoor jacuzzis.
Training grounds for your short and long game with a comfortable setting and great amenities. Part of the tees are covered in cubicles for training in unfavorable weather and a machine that dispenses golf balls. In addition to the covered play option, the facility also has its own snack-café that serves food and drinks. The whole area is accessible not only to the golf club members, but also to the general public. They also offer the possibility of training one of one with professional golf trainers.
HEORES LASER ARÉNA
The Laser Arena is specifically designed to host a game known as Laser Game or Laser Tag. It offers an adrenaline pumping game for up to 11 players, in which players play against each other with modern laser weapons. Laser Game is a tactical and a very entertaining sport at the same time. It’s perfect for corporate teambuildings, school events, birthday parties or hen and stag parties.
Public indoor go-kart hall that is open year-round. There are a total of 10 go-karts (6 with 6.5 horsepower and 4 with 9 horsepower). The circuit has approximately 300 meters in length and a width of between two and five meters. In addition to testing your driving skills against other racers, you can also enjoy a bar with background music in a glass-lined, soundproof lounge, as well as an additional billiard room.